Main Fields of Technical Expertise
- Photovoltaic systems: technologies and design
- LED technologies and design
- Fiber optic sensors
- Passive optical components
- Fiber optic amplifier
- Interferometry and Optoelectronics Instrumentation
- Display in OLED and LCD technology
ICT (Information and Communication Technology)
- Network technologies and protocols for Smart Grid (Internet of Energy)
- Wireless technologies and networks protocols (wireless sensor networks and ad hoc networks, ZigBee, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 6LOWPAN, ...)
- Next Generation Access Networks
- Internet of objects: RFID systems with passive and active tags
- FWA (Fixed wireless access), ROF (Radio Over Fiber) and technologies for millimeter waves generation and detection
- Networks, transmission systems and fiber optic components
Defining and drafting of R&D Programs
Scouting and benchmarking of technologies, identification of innovation area; feasibility study; evaluation of financial and human resources; planning and timing; search for financial support; business plan.
Managing R&D Projects and Research Team
Defining and planning of activities; choosing and motivating the team; organizing and managing human and financial resources; advancement reporting; risk analysis and management; problem solving; paying attention to client satisfaction; effective presentation of outcomes.
Supervising and coordinating European Projects
Searching for industrial partners and University partners; supervising and preparing project proposal complete of research program and financial budget; organizing the technical activity; meeting management; organizing and managing team work; managing IPR; supervising and coordinating the preparation of all necessary reports and technical presentations of the activity progress.
Setting Double-Degree Programs between Italian and Foreign Universities
Teaching of University Master and PhD Courses
Managing cooperation with Universities, Research Centers, Industries, National Institutions
Managing standardisation groups and committees
Organising Conferences, workshops, exhibitions (mainly with IEEE)
Obtaining sponsorship; appointing General Chair and Conference Committees; identifying location and timing; setting forth the relationship and obligations of all involved parties in a Memorandum of Understanding; preparing preliminary budget; setting up the technical programme; developing communications plan, promotional and advertising materials and event website; managing logistic/administrative/financial aspects.
In particular I chaired the Technical Committee and co-organized the IEEE RTSI 2015 conference.I promoted, co-organized and co-chaired two editions of WFOPC in Pavia (1998-2000), and three more editions as Steering Committee member (Palermo 2005, Taipei 2007 and Montreal 2011). I have also conceived and promoted the International Conference Biophotonics 2012 in Parma.
I have established a network of international and national contacts either with universities and with companies, research centers, standardization organizations and scientific associations.